Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A bunch of things...

So a lot has happened since my last post, so this post will have a bunch of topics in it. For starters, youth group last Friday was a blast! We got to go to a gymnastics club and basically have free reign on all of the equipment! They had huge crash mats, a couple of tall ropes, some balancing beams, some of those bars that you see people use in the Olympics (I'm not sure what they're called), and they had trampolines that were flush mounted in the floor! It was so great! So for a while, we just did whatever we wanted, and then we started some competitions, like who can jump the furthest into the foam pit, and who can bounce the furthest from a trampoline onto a crash mat, and who can jump over the highest obstacle. I won the rope climbing! Overall, it was a great night and it was especially memorable since it's something that you don't get to do too often!

I also learned that there are some kids with some pretty unique names. In this youth group there is a Hunter, Nairn, Georgia, and we also have 2 Aaron's and an Erin! It's crazy!

At soccer on Monday, we were playing against the first place team in our division, we were in fifth place. I thought that if our whole team showed up, we'd have a decent chance since a bunch of our last few games were close ones. When I got there, however, I learned that our best forward was at home in bed with the flu. I had heard that our best goalie had hurt his back and most likely wouldn't be coming and one of our best defender's was on holidays in Saskatchewan! Thankfully, Steffan (our goalie) was able to make it to the game but he played out instead of goal tending. It paid off because early on in the game I had scored the first goal but the other team had answered us with a beautiful goal of their own, just before half time. As the end of the game was drawing near Steffan was in our opponent's half and someone set him a beautiful pass which he proceeded to head-butt into the net, with only 30 seconds left! It was awesome! Another great part about the game was that it was a fairly clean game. The last couple that we have played have been rather rough, so this was a very refreshing experience!

So, at our small group on Tuesday, we've been going through a video series by Louie Giglio called Indescribable. It's really amazing stuff and it really makes you realize just how small you are and how HUGE and POWERFUL God really is! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it! There are four sessions in this particular series, all of which you can find on Youtube. At one point he talks about four stars and their sizes in comparison with Earth. He says that the largest star that astronomers have found so far is so huge that if the Earth was a golf ball, then this star would be as tall as Mount Everest in comparison! That's Crazy!!! It's a really incredible series and we just finished the second episode, so I'm really looking forward to the next couple of Tuesdays.

Yesterday, the choir that Dad is in, The Master's Singers, had their 10th Anniversary concert at the Jack Singer Concert Hall. Their conductor, had asked me to play trumpet for one of their songs and I quickly and enthusiastically jumped at the opportunity! Let me give you just a little bit of background. The Jack Singer Concert Hall, is one of the finest venues for a concert in the city. It's acoustics are incredible, and it seats about 1600 people! The last time that I was in the Hall, it was to see Wynton Marsalis, who has been recognized as the greatest Jazz trumpet player in North America. It was a great concert with him playing and now I had been given a chance to play there too! It was so incredible! Unfortunately, my dad got a really bad case of the flu that morning and couldn't even stand up because he would get so dizzy. Thankfully, they recorded the concert and Dad will be able to get a copy of it!

So they figured that there were about 1300 people in the hall that night, so needless to say I was a bit nervous. When my turn to play came I walked out to the middle of the stage, right at the front and I played along with the choir. I did quite well overall, looking back at my performance I rated myself at 93%. There were a few notes that I didn't hit solidly and then I was a bit late starting the last really high note, but I was able to hit it and hold it until the cut-off! It was really good! After I was done playing, my heart was racing and my legs were all trembly, it was really weird!

Oh and some other great news! I found out that my apprentice will be doing undergrounds starting in January! This means that he will no longer be my apprentice!!! YAY!!! I'm so excited!

So, all in all, life is great! It's really busy, but it's great!

No comments: